After posting photos of my homemade crackers on social media a few times, people have constantly asked for the recipe.
These crackers have no grains but plenty of protein and healthy fats
I eat them as a healthy alternative to normal crackers and also as part of a diet. Obviously if you want to lose weight you will only eat a moderate amount as seeds are calorific. However, healthy fats will actually help you to burn fat, so moderate amounts are fine.
There are so many healthy choices you can pile on the crackers
My favourite treat is a glass of wine with these crackers and cheese
Here are some other things I eat with the crackers:
A soft cheese, smoked salmon, olive tapenade (paste), avocado, cut up shrimp with chopped tomato.
These are just a few ideas but obviously you can put anything you like on them.
You can actually change the seed mixture to anything you like. Feel free to mix it up!
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 Tsp garlic powder or 1 tsp chilli powder (or neither)
- 2 tsp freshly chopped herbs of choice or dried herbs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. It will be a little watery but leave to stand for 5 mins and the seeds and almonds will absorb the water.
- Spread the mixture onto the lined baking tray and flatten as much as possible with the back of a large spoon. I use a rolling pin to flatten it as much as possible. You want the mixture to be as thin as possible without it breaking.
- Bake for 30 mins.
- Remove from oven and cut into as many cracker size squares as you like. The size of each cracker is up to you. Flip each cracker over and bake for a further 20 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Store in a sealed container and they’ll last for at least 2 weeks. Will probably be eaten way before then!